« PoprzedniaDalej »
THE REVELATION OF JOHN THE DIVINE. .
JORN COMMANDED TO WRITE TO THE SEVEN CHURCHES IN ASIA.
Where, and in what manner, did John receive those remarkable openings and predictions concerning things to come, which are recorded in the Apocalypse ?
9. I John, who also am your brother and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the Isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice as a trumpet,
11. Saying: I am Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last : and what thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia ; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
How does John describe the introduction to the vision which he first saw .?
12. I turned to see the voice that spake with me, and being tarned I saw seven golden candlesticks.
13. And in the midst of the seven candlesticks, one like unto the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14. His head and bis hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15. And bis feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
16. And he had in his right hand seven stars, and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and his countenance was as the sun sbineth in bis strength.
What was explained to him to be the import of this mysterious vision.
20. The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right baud, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven charcbes.
TO TH& ANGEL OR MINISTER OF THE CHURCH AT
AT SMYRNA-AT PERGAMOAT THYATIRA.
What was rerealed to John concerning the Church at Ephesus?
1. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write: These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks.
2. I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil; and thou hast tried tbem which say they are aposíles, and are not, and hast found them liars :
3. And hast borne, and hast patience; and for my name's sake bast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4. Nevertheless, I have somewhat against tbee; because thou bast lest thy first love,
5. Remember, therefore, from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
What was revealed concerning the church at Smyrna?
8. Unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These things saith the First and the Last, which was dead and is alive :
9. I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich;) and I know tbe blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer ; behold, the devil sball cast some of into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
What was revealed concerning the church at Pergamos?
12. To the angel of the church in Pergamos write: These things saith He which hath the sharp sword with two edges :
13. I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is; and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith.
14. But I have a few things against thee; because thou hast there them that liold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling. block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
15. So hast thou them also that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I bate.
16. Repent ;-or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17. He that bath an car to bear, let him hear
what the Spirit saith unto the churches. To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna; and I will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, wbich no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
What was revealed concerning the church at Thyatira ?
18. Unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and bis feet are like fine brass :
19. I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works, and the last to be more than the first.
20. Notwithstanding, I have a few things against thee; because thou sufferest that woman Jezabel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21. And I gave her space to repent of her fornication, and she repented not.
22. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds ;
23. And I will kill her children with death : and all the churches shall know that I am He wbich searcheth the reins and hearts; and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.