« PoprzedniaDalej »
26. The Kings of the Earth stood up, and the Rute ERS were gathered together against the LORD, and against his CHRIST.
27. For of a Truth against thy holy Child Fesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the People of Israel, were gathered together,
28. For to do whatsoever thy Hand and thy Counsel determined before to be done.
29. And now, Lord, behold their Threatnings: And grant unto thy Servants, that with all Boldness they may speak thy Word,
30. By stretching forth thine Hand to heal : and that Signs and Wonders may be done by the Name of thy holy Child Jesus.
31. And when they had PRAYED, the Place was sh AKEN where they were afsembled together, and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they fpake the Word of God with Boldness.
32. And the Multitude of them that believed, were of ONE HEART, and of One Soul: Neither faid any of them, that ought of the Things which he poffeffed, was his own, but they had all Things COMMON.
33. And with great Power gave the Apostles witness of the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great GRACE was upon them all.
34. Neither was there any among them that lacked : For as many as were Poffeffors of Lands, or Houses, fold them, and brought the Price of the Things that were fold,
35. And laid them down at the Apostles Feet: and Dittribution was made unto every Man according as he had need.
36. And Foses, who by the Apostles was firnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, the Son of Confolation) a Levite, and of the Country of Cyprus,
37. Having Land, fold it, and brought the Money, and laid it at the Apostles Feet.
CH A P. V. After that Ananias and Sapphira bis Wife, for ile Hypocrisy, at Peter's Rebuke, had fallen dozen des
12. and that the rest of the A oftles had wrought many Miracles, 14. to the Increaje of their Faith: 17. The Apostles are again imprisoned, 19. bit delivere I by an Angel, bidding them to preach openly to all : 21. When, after their Teaching accordingly in the Temple, 29. and before the Council, 33. they are in danger to be killed; through the Advice of Gamaliel, a great Counsellor among the Jews, they are kept alive, 40. and were only beaten: For which they glorified
God, and ceased 1:0 Day from preaching. Ver.1.BUT a certain Man named Ananias, with Sap
phira his Wife, fold a Possession, 2. And kept back part of the Price, his Wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain Part, and laid it at the A poftles Feet.
3. But Peter said, Ananias, Why hath Satan filled thine Heart to LyE to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the Price of the Land ?
4. Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? And after it was sold, was it not in thine own Power? Why halt thou conceived this Thing in thine Heart? Thou hast not LYED unto Men, but unto God.
5. And Ananias hearing these Words, fell down and gave up the Ghost: And great Fear came on all them that heard these Things.
6. And the young Men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
7. And it was about the Space of three Hours after, when his Wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
8. And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye fold the Land for so much; and she said, Yea, for so much :
9. Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together, to TEMPT the SPIRIT of the LORD ? Behold, the Feet of them which have buried thy Husband are at the Door, and shall
thee out. 10. Then tell me down straightway at his Feet, and yielded ир. the Ghost : And the
Men came in and found her dead, and carrying her forth, buried her by her Husband.
11. And great Fear came upon all the Church, and upon as many as heard thefe Things.
12. And by the Hands of the APOSTLES were many SIGNS and WONDERS wrought among the People ; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's Porch.
13. And of the rest durit no Man join himself to them; but the People magnified them.
14. And BELIEVERS were the more added to the Lord, MULTUUDes both of Men and Women)
15. Infomuch that they brought forth the Sick into the Streets, and laid them on Beds and Couches, that at the least, the SHADOW of Peter's passing by, might overShadow fome of them.
16. There came allo a Multitude out of the Cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick Folks, and them which were vexed with UNCLEAN SPIRITS : and they were healed every one.
17. Then the High Priest rose up, and all they that were with him (which is the Sect of the Sadducees) and were filled with Indignation,
18. And laid their Hands on the Apostles, and pat them in the common Prison.
19. But the Angel of the Lord by Night opened the Prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,
20. Go, itand and speak in the Temple to the People, all the WORDS of this Life.
21. And when they heard that, they entred into the Temple carly in the Morning, and taught. But the High Prieff came, and they that were with him, and called the Council together
, and all the Senate of the Children of Ifrael, and sent to the Prison to have them brought.
2 2. But when the Officers came, and found them not in the Prison, they returned and toid,
23. Saying, The Pri'on truly found we Mut with all Safe ty, and the Keepers standing without before the Doors : but when we had opened, we found no Man within.
24. Now when the High Priest and the Captain of the Temple, and the Chief Priefis heard these Things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
25. Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the Men whom ye put in Prison, are STANDING in the Temple, and TEACHING the People.
26. Then went the Captain with the Officers, and brought them without Violence: (for they feared the Pea yle, leit they fhould have been ftoned)
27. And when they had brought them, they set them before the Council: And the High Priest asked them,
28. Saying, Did not we ftraightly command you, that you hould not teach in this Name And bebold ye have FILLED Jerusalem with your Doctrine, and intend to bring this Man's Blood upon us.
29. Then Peter and the other Apostles answered and faid, we ought to obey God, rather than Men.
30. The God of our Fathers RAISED up fesus, whom ye New, and hanged on a Tree.
31. Him hath God exalted with his right Hand, to be a Prince and a SAVIOUR, for to give Repentance to Ifrael, and Forgiveness of Sins.
32. And we are his Witnesses of these Things ; and so is also the HOLY GHOST, whom God hath given to them that OBEY him.
33. When they heard that, they were cut to the Heart, and took Counsel to say them.
34. Then stood there up one in the Council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a Doctor of Law, had in Reputation among all the People, and commanded to put the Apoftles forth a little Space,
35. And faid unto them, Ye Men of Israel, take heed to your felves, what ye intend to do as touching these Men.
36. For before these Days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be Somebody, to whom a number of Men, about four hundred, joined themselves : who was slain, and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered and brought to noughr.
37. After this Man rose up Judas of Galilee, in the Days of the Taxing, and drew away much People after him: He also perilhed, and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
38. And now I say unto you, Refrain from these Men, and let them alone : For if this Counsel, or this Work, be of Men, it will come to NOUGHT :
39. But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it ; left haply ye be found even to pighT AGAINST God,
40. And to him they agreed : And when they had called the Apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the Name of Jesus, and let them go. 41. And they departed from the Presence of the Council,
D dd 2
REJOICING that they were counted worthy to SUFFER
42. And daily in the Temple, and in every House, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
1. The Apostles, desirous to have the Poor regarded for
their bodily Sulienance, as also careful themselves to dispence the Word of God, the Food of the Soul ; z. ajpoint the Office of Deaconship to seven chosen Men: 5. Of whom Stephen, a Man full of Faith, and of the Holy Ghost, is one : 12. Il bo is taken of those whom be confounded in disputing, 13. and afterwards fally accused of Blasphemy against the Law, and the Temple.
. 1. A
ND in those Days, when the Number of the
Disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their Widows were neglected in the daily Ministration,
2. Then the Twelve called the Multitude of the Disciples unto them, and said, It is not Reason that we should leave the Word of God, and serve Tables. • 3. Wherefore Brethren, look ye out among you feven Men of honest Report, full of the Holy Ghost and WISDOM, whom we may appoint over this Buliness.
4. But we will give our felves continually to PRAYER, and to the MINISTRY of the WORD.
5. And the Saying pleased the whole Multitude : And they chose Stephen, a Man Full of FAITH, and of ibe Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochoills, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a Proselite ot Antioch.
6. Whom they set before the Apostles: And when they had prayed, they laid their Hands on them.
7. And the Word of God increased; and the Numba of the Disciples multiplied in Jerufalem greatly ; and a great Company of the Priests were obedient to the FAITH.
8. And Stephen, FULL of Faith and Power, did great Wonders and Miracles among the People. 9. Then there arose certain of the Synagogue, which is