« PoprzedniaDalej »
by the inquisition, ib.ba-
Mosaic dispensation relative to
Murder with torture, and upon
Neal's view of the character of
on the protestants, 430
Oppressions and tyranny of the
court in Charles I reign, the
Oxford, university, time serving
Papists, favoured in the reign of
Paramus, an inquisitor, says that
the Spanish people were dis-
Parliament, (in Charles I. reign)
Pelagius on the baptism of in-
the English church, 299—lia-
Privy council, of Charles I. an
Protestants of France, persecu-
Puritans never disowned the
Rapin's account of King Charles's
salute, 16.18-reflections on
in the reign of Charles I. was
lead us to serious recollection,
Religion, state of in the reign of
Revolution of 1688, principles on
Rochellers, their hardships during
Sacerdotal absolution condemned
Schisin, of dissenters and Sama-
ritans compared, 383--391.410
Ship money, illegal tax in Charles
Shorfield, Henry, Esq. tried in
Sick, liable to be ensnared and
Spanish divines sent to convert
greatest sinners, 473
Temporal possessions, vanity and
Thankfulness, our duty even in
Washing, in what sense used by
Welwood's, opinion of Charles
Toleration act, far from being
Wars mentioned in scripture, and
Books published by B. Flower, and sold by M. Jones, No. 5, Newgate Street, London; and by the different booksellers in the United Kingdom.
1. Miscellaneous Works of Robert Robinson, late Pastor of the Baptist Church and Congregation of Protestant Dissenters, at Cambridge: to which are prefixed Memoirs of his Life and Writings: by Benjamin Flower. Demy 8vo. 4 vols. price 11. 12s. boards, or on superfine royal, price 21. in boards; with a fine Portrait of the Author to each edition.
Proof Impressions of the Portrait of Mr. Robinson worked off in 4to. for framing, price 5s. each.
N. B. The following Tracts written by Mr. Robinson and inserted in the above edition are printed separately.
2. A Plan of Lectures on the Principles of Nonconformity, Sth, edit. price 1s. 6d.
3. A Brief Dissertation on the Ministration of the Divine Word by Public Preaching, prefixed to a Translation of Claude's Essay on the Composition of a Sermon. With a short Preface on the subject of Dissenting Ordination by the Editor. Price 2s.
4. Reflections on Christian Liberty, Mental Error, &c.The celebrated Preface to the 3d. volume of Saurin's Sermons. Price 1s. 6d.
5. The General Doctrine of Toleration applied to the particular case of Free Communion. 2d. edit. price 15. 6d.
6. A Lecture on Becoming Behaviour in Religious Assemblies. 2d. edit. price 1s.
7. The History and Mystery of Good Friday. 12mo. price Sd. or 7s. a dozen.
8. Six Morning Exercises, extracted from the Village Sermons of Mr. Robinson. Printed in a neat pocket volume. Price 1s. boards, or on fine paper, coloured boards, 1s. 6d.
9. Select Sermons, translated from the original French of the celebrated Bourdaloue. 8vo. 7s. 6d. boards.
Bourdaloue was one of the most celebrated preachers in France during the reign of Louis XIV. His sermons are remarkable for their powerful addresses to the heart. As a court preacher his faithfulness in reproving the peculiar vices of his audience was almost without example. The late Bishop Warburton pronounced Bourdaloue's Sermons the best experimental Sermons he had ever read.
10. An Answer to the Question-Why are you a Christian? By John Clarke, D. D. of Boston, New England. Two new editions (the 6th and 7th.) with notes, one in Svo. price 1s. and the other in 12mo. price 6d.
11. Smith on the Prophetic Writings, containing a Summary View and Explanation of the Writings of the Prophets. I. Preliminary Observations, and General Rules for understanding the Prophetic Stile.
II. A Particular Account of each Book and Chapter as they lie in order. In which the geueral style of each Prophet is characterised: the beauty and sublimity of particular passages remarked; the change of persons or speakers, the transition from one part of the subject to another, and the connection and scope of the whole pointed out; improvements on the translation where they seem to be of most consequence, taken notice of; with illustrations of the customs, and manners to which the sacred writers occasionally allude, and the applicacation of their prophecies to those events to which they are supposed to refer. The whole being intended to make those divine compositions intelligible, useful and agreeable to readers of every description. By John Smith, D. D. Minister of the Gospel at Cambleton. The 3d. edit. 8vo. 4s. boards.
12. The Nature and Design of Infidel Philosophy, containing a Summary View of the Principles of Modern Infidels. By T. Dwight, D. D. 8vo. 3d. edit. price 2s.
13. An Analysis of Dr. Paley's Principles of Moral and Political Philosophy. 8vo. 6th. edit. price 2s. 6d.
14. An Analysis of Dr. Paley's Principles of Christianity. Svo. 3d. edit. price 2s. 6d.
15. A Full and Compleat Analysis of Dr. Paley's Natural Theology, or Evidences of the Existence and Attributes of the Deity, collected from the Appearances of Nature. 2d. edit. price 3s.
16. An Analysis of Mr. Locke's Essay on the Human Understanding, 8vo. 3d. edit. price 1s. 6d.
17. An Analysis, or Complete Abridgement of Dr. Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations. Svo. price 5s. boards.
The above Analyses of these celebrated works are useful, not only to persons who have not leisure to peruse the originals, but to those who have perused them, as they contain not merely a copious index, but the substance of the different volumes: they have been found particularly serviceable to Students in the Universities.
18. Philario and Clarinda, or a Warning to Youth against scepticism, infidelity, and vice. By the late Rev. John Thorowgood. The 3d. edit. price 3s. in boards, or hot-pressed, 3s. 6d. coloured boards.
[B. Flower, Printer, Harlow.]