Obrazy na stronie

she was pregnant. I never said that she was so to Fanny Lloyd. I have bled the Princess twice; the second bleeding was in 1802, and it was in the June quarter, as appears by the book I kept. I don't know what she was bled for-it was at her own desire-it was not by any medical advice. I was unwilling to do it, but she wished it. If I recollect, she complained of a pain in her chest, but I don't remember that she had any illness. I did not use to bleed her twice a year. I certainly saw her Royal Highness in November 1802. I saw her on the 16th of November, but I had not any idea of her being then with child. I did not attend her on the 16th of November, but I saw her then; I was visiting a child (a male child,) from Deptford. I have no recollection of having seen the Princess in October, 1802. The child must have been from three to five months old when I first saw it. I have no recollection of the Princess having been ill about the end of October, 1802. I have visited the child very often since, and I have always understood it to be the same child. The Princess used sometimes to send for leeches, and had them from me. I don't think that I' attended the Princess, or saw her often, in the summer and autumn of 1802. I had not the sole care of the Princess's health during the time I have spoken of. Sir Francis Millman attended her occasionally.

THOMAS EDMEADES. Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downingstreet, the 25th day of June, 18c6, before us, ERSKINE, SPENCER, GRENVILLE, ELLENBOROUGH.

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 20.)


I am a surgeon at Greenwich; have been in partnership with Mr. Edmeades since 1800. Before he was my partner I attended the Princess of Wales's family from the time of her coming to Blackheath from Charlton. I was appointed by the Princess her surgeon, in April, 1801, by a written appointment, and from that time I never attended her Royal Highness, or any of the servants, in my medical capacity, except that I once attended Miss Gouch, and once Miss Millfield. There was a child brought to the Princess while I attended her. I was called upon to examine the child. It was a girl. It must have been in 1801, or thereabouts. The child afterwards had the measles, and I attended her. When first I saw the child, I think it must have been about ten months old. It must have been prior to April, 1801. I understood that the child was taken through charity. I remember that there was a female servant who attended in the coffee-room. I never said to that woman, or to any other person, that the Princess was with child, or looked as if she was with child, and I never thought so, or surmised any thing of the kind. I was once

[ocr errors]

sent for by her Royal Highness to bleed her. I was not at home, and Mr. Edmeades bled her. I had bled her two or three times before; it was by direction of Sir Francis Millman. It was for an inflammation she had on the lungs. As much as I knew it was not usual for the Princess to be bled twice a year. I don't know that any other medical person attended her at the time that I did, nor do I believe that there did. I don't know that Sir Francis Millman had advised that she should be blooded at the time that I was sent for and was not at home, nor what was the cause of her being then blooded. I do recollect something of having attended the servant who was in the coffee-room, for a cold, but I am sure I never said to her that the Princess was with child, or looked as if she was so. I have known that the Princess has frequently sent to Mr. Edmeades for leeches. When I saw the female child, Mrs. Sander was in the room, and some other servants, but I don't recollect who. I was sent for to see whether there was any disease about the child-to see whether it was a healthy child, as her Royal Highness meant to take it under her patronage. The child could just walk alone. I saw the child frequently afterwards. It was at one time with Bidgood, and another time with Gosden and his wife. I don't recollect that the Princess was by at any time when I saw the child. I never saw the child in Montague House when I attended it as a patient, but when I was first sent for to see if the child had any disease it was in Montague House. SAMUEL GILLAM MILLS. Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downingstreet, the 25th day of June, 1806, before us, ERSKINE, SPENCER, GRENVILLE, ELLENBOROUGH.

A true Copy-J. Becket.


I came first to live with the Princess of Wales in 1801, merely as a friend and companion, and have continued to live with her Royal Highness to this time. I know Lady Douglas. I remember ber lying in. It happened by accident that her Royal Highness was in the house at the time of Lady Douglas's delivery. I think it was in July, 1802. I was there myself. The Princess was not in the room at the time Lady Douglas was delivered. There was certainly no appearance of the Princess being pregnant at that time. I saw the Princess at that time every day, and at all hours. I believe it to be quite impossible that the Princess should have been with child without my observing it. I never was at breakfast with the Princess at Lady Willoughby's. The Princess took a little girl into the house about nine years ago. I was not in the house at the time. I was in the house when the boy, who is now there, was brought there. She had said before openly that she should like to have a child,


and she had asked the servant who brought the child, if he knew of any persons who would part with a child. I was at Southend with the Princess. I remember Captain Manby being there sometimes. He was not there very often. He used to come at different hours, as the tide served. He dined ther but never ayed late. I was at Southend all the time the Princess was there. I cannot recollect that I have seen Captain Manby there, or known him to be there, later than nine, or half after nine. I never knew of any correspondence by letter with him when he was abroad. I don't recollect to have seen him ever early in the morning at the Princess's. I was at Ramsgate with the Princess. Captain Manby may have dined there once. He never slept there to my knowledge, nor do I believe he did. The Princess rises at different hours, seldom before ten or eleven. I never knew her up at six o'clock in the morning. If she had been up so early I should not have known it, not being up so early myself. I remember the Princess giving Captain Manby an inkstand. He had the care of two boys whom she protected. I can't say that Captain Manby did not sleep at Southend. He may have slept in the village, but I believe he never slept in the Princess's house. I was at Catherington with the Princess. I remember her Royal Highness going out in an open carriage with the present Lord Hood. I believe Lord Hood's servant attended them. There was only one servant, and no other carriage with them.

was at Dawlish this summer with the Princess, and afterwards at Mount Edgcumbe. The Princess saw a great deal of company there. Sir Richard Strachan used to come there. I don't know what was the cause of his discontinuing his visits there. I remember Sir Sidney Smith being frequently at Montague house. He was sometimes there as late as twelve and one o'clock in the morning, but never alone that I know of. The Princess was not in the room when Lady Douglas was brought to bed. I know she was not, because I was in the room myself when Lady Douglas was delivered. Dr. Mackie of Lewisham, was the accoucheur. I don't recollect Sir Sidney Smith ever being alone with the Princess in the evening. It may have happened, but I don't know that it did. I used to sit with the Princess always in the evening, but not in the morning. I was with the Princess in the Isle of Wight. Mr. Hood and Lord Amelius Beauclerc were there with her. She went there from Portsmouth.

HARRIETT FITZGERALD. Sworn before us at Lord Grenville's house, in Downing-street, the 27th day of June, 1806, before us,


A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 22.)

Whitehall, July 1, 1806. MY LORD-The extreme importance of the business on which I have before troubled your Lordship and Lady Willoughby, makes it the indispensible duty of the persons to whom his Majesty has entrusted the inquiry, further to request that ker Ladyship will have the goodness to return in writing, distinct and separate answers to the enclosed Queries. They beg leave to add, that in the discharge of the trust committed to them, they have been obliged to examine upon oath the several persons to whose testimony they have thought it right to have recourse on this occasion. They have been unwilling to give Lady Willoughby the trouble of so long a journey for that pur pose, well knowing the full reliance which may be placed on every thing which shall be stated by her Ladyship in this form. But on her return to town it may probably be judged necessary, for the sake of uniformity in this most important proceeding, that she should be so good as to confirm on oath, the truth of the written answers requested from her Ladyship. (No Signature in the original.)

[blocks in formation]

May or June, 1802, but of the periods at which I had the honour of receiving her, I have no precise recollection.

Ques. Has her Ladyship any recollection of the circumstance of her Royal Highness having retired from the company at such breakfast or dinner, on account, or under the pretence, of having spilt any thing over her handkerchief? And if so, did Lady Willoughby attend her Royal Highness on that occasion ? and what then passed between them relative to that circumstance?

Ans. I do not remember her Royal Highness having at any time, retired from the company, either at Whitehall, or at Langley, un. der the pretence of having spilt any thing over her handkerchief.

Ques.-Had Lady Willoughby frequent opportunities in the course of that year, to see her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales, and at what periods? And did she at any time during the year, observe any appearance, which led her to suspect that the Princess of Wales was pregnant?

[ocr errors]

Ans. To the best of my remembrance 1 had few opportunities of seeing the Princess of Wales in the year 1802, and I do not recollect having observed any particular circumstances relative to her Royal Highness's appearance. Ques.-Is Lady Willoughby acquainted with any other circumstance leading to the same conclusion, or tending to establish the fact of a criminal intercourse, or improper familiarity Sworn before us in Downing-street, this third between her Royal Highness and any other person whatever? and if so, what are they?


day of July.


Ans-During the ten years I have had the honour of knowing the Princess of Wales, I do not bear in mind a single instance of her Royal Highness's conduct in society towards any individual, tending to establish the fact of a criminal intercourse, or improper familiarity. WILLOUGHBY.

(No. 25.)


tea. I have seen him next morning by ten o'clock.
I suspected he slept at No. 9, the Princess's-she
always put out the candles herself in the draw.
room at No. 9, and bid me not wait to put them
up; she gave me the orders as soon as she went
to Southend. I used to see water-jugs, basons,
and towels, set out opposite the Princess's door,
in the passage,-never saw them so left in the pas-
sage at any other time; and I suspected he was
there at those times. There was a general sus→
picion throughout the house. Mrs. and Miss
Fitzgerald there, and Miss Hamond, (now Lady
Hood) there. My suspicions arose from seeing
them in the glasses kiss each other, as I mention-
ed before, like people fond of each other—a very
close kiss. Her behaviour like that of a woman
attached to a man ;-used to be by themselves at
luncheon at Southend-when ladies not sent for,
a number of times. There was a poney which
Captain Manby used to ride; it stood in the
stable ready for him,and which Sicard used to ride.
The servants used to talk and laugh about Cap-
tain Manby, it was matter of discourse amongst
them. I lived there when Sir Sidney Smith
came, her manner with him appeared very fami-
liar. She appeared very attentive to him but I
did not suspect any thing farther. All the up-
per servants had keys of the doors to the Park to
let her Royal Highness in and out. I used to see
Sicard receive letters from Mrs. Sander to put in
the post instead of the bag. This was after Cap-
tain Manby was gone to sea. I suspected this to
be for Captain Manby, and others in the house
suspected the same.

The Princess used to go out in her phaeton with coachman and helper, towards Long Reach, eight or ten times, carrying luncheon and wine with her, when Captain Manby's ship was at Long Reach-always Mrs. Fitzgerald with herShe would go out at one, and return about five or six-sometimes sooner or later. The day the Africaine sailed from Southend the Princess ordered us to pack up for Blackheath next morning. Captain Manby was there three times a week at the least, whilst his ship lay for six weeks off Southend at the Nore-he came as tide servedased to come in a morning and dine and drink

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 26.)

I attended the Princess of Wales in the Spring
and latter end of the year 1802; i. e. in March,
and towards the autumn. Mr. Mills of Green-
wich attended then as her Royal Highness's apo-
thecary, and Mr. Mills and his partner Mr. Ed-
meades have attended since. I do not know that
any other medical person attended at that time,
either as apothecary or physician. In March
1802, I attended her for a sore throat and fever.
In 1803, in April, I attended her Royal High-
ness again, with Sir Walter Farquhar. I don't
know whether she was blooded in 1802. She
was with difficulty persuaded to be blooded in
1803, for a pain in her chest, saying she had not
been blooded before; that they could not find a
vein in her arm. I saw no mark on her arm of
her having been blooded before. I observed her
Royal Highness's person at the end of that year
1802. Never observed then, or at any other time,
any thing which induced me to think her Royal

[ocr errors]

Highness was in a pregnant situation. I think it is impossible she should, in that year, have been delivered of a child without my observing it. She during that year, and at all times, was in the habit of receiving the visits of the Duke of Gloucester.

I never attended her Royal Highness but on extraordinary illnesses. Her Royal Highness has, for the last year and half had her prescriptions made up at Walker and Young's, St. James's-street.

If she had been a pregnant woman in June 1802, I could not have helped observing it. FR. MILLMAN. Sworn before us in Downing-street, July 3d, 1806, by the said Sir Francis Millman. ERSKINE, SPENCER, GRENVILLE, ELLENBOROUGH,

A true Copy-J. Becket.


boys came with him, not to dinner, and not generally; not above two or three times two boys;-I think Sir Sydney Smith came also frequently the Christmas before that, to the best of my recollection. At dinner, when Captain Manby dined, he always sat next her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. The constant company were, Mrs. and Miss Fitzgerald and myself; we all retired with the Princess, and sat in the same room. He generally retired about eleven o'clock; he sat with us till then. This occurred three or four times a week, or more. Her Royal Highness, the Lady in waiting, and her Page, have each a key of the door from the Greenhouse to the Park. Captain Manby and the Princess used, when we were together, to be speaking together separately-conversing separately, but not in a room alone together, to my knowledge. He was a person with whom she appeared to have greater pleasure in talking than to her ladies. She behaved to him only as any woman would who likes flirting. I should not have thought any married woman would have behaved properly who should have behaved as her Royal Highness did to Captain Manby. I can't say whether she was attached to Captain Manby, only that it was a flirting conduct.-Never saw any gallantries, as kissing her hand, or the like.

(No. 27.)

THE DEPOSITION OF MRS. LISLE. 1 (HESTER LISLE) am in the Princess of Wales's family; have been so ever since her Royal Highness's marriage. I was not at Southend with the Princess-was at Blackheath with her in 1802, but am not perfectly sure as to date. I am generally a month at a time (three months in the year) with her Royal Highness; in April, August, and December; was so in August, 1802. I did not observe any alteration in her Royal Highness's shape which gave me any idea that she was pregnant. I had no reason to know or believe that she was pregnant. During my attendance, hardly a day passes without my seeing her. She couldnot have been far advanced in pregnancy without my knowing it. I was at East Cliff with her Royal Highness in August, 1803. I saw Captain Manby only once at East Cliff, in August, 1803, to the best of my recollection. He might have been oftener and once again at Deal Castle. Captain Manby landed there with some boys the Princess takes on charity. I saw Captain Manby at East Cliff one morning, not particularly early. I don't know of any presents which the Princess made Captain Manby-have seen Captain Manby at Blackheath one Christmas. He used to come to dine the Christmas before we were at Ramsgate-it was the Christmas after Mrs. Austin's child came. He always went away in my presence; I had no reason to think be staid after we, the ladies, retired. He lodged on the Heath at that time-I believe his ship was fitting up at Deptford. He was there frequently, I think not every day-he generally came to dinner-three or four times a week, or more-I suppose he might be alone with her, hut the Princess is in the habit of seeing gentlemen and tradesmen without my being present.-I haye seen him at luncheon and dinner both. The

I was with her Royal Highness at Lady Sheffield's last Christmas, in Sussex. I inquired what company was there when I came. She said only Mr. John Chester, who was there by her Royal Highness's orders: that she could get no other company to meet her, on account of the roads and season of the year. He dined and slept there that night. The next day other company came; Mr. Chester remained. I heard her Royal Highness say she had been ill in the night, and came and lighted her candle in the servant's room. I returned from Sheffield Place to Blackheath with the Princess-Captain Moore dined there-I left him and the Princess twice alone, for a short time-he might be alone half an hour with her in the room below, in which we had been sitting-I went to look for a book, to complete a set her Royal Highness was lending Captain Moore. She made him a present of an inkstand, to the best of my recollection. He was there one morning in January last, on the Princess Charlotte's birth-day; he went away before the rest of the company: 1 might be absent about twenty minutes the second time I went away, the night Captain Moore was there. At Lady Sheffield's, her Royal Highness paid more attention to Mr. Chester than to the rest of the company. I knew of her Royal Highness walking out alone twice with Mr. Chester-in the morningalone once a short time; it rained; the other, not an hour'; not long. Mr. Chester is a pretty young man. Her attentions to him were not uncommon; not the same as to Captain Manby. 1 am not certain whether the Princess answered

any letters of Lady Douglas. I was at Catherington with the Princess. Remember Mr. now Lord Hood, there, and the Princess going out airing with him alone in Mr. Hood's little whiskey, and his servant was with them. Mr. Hood drove, and staid out two or three hours more than once. Mr. Three or four times. Hood dined with us several times. Once or twice he slept in an house in the garden. She appeared to pay no attention to him but that of common civility to an intimate acquaintance. Remember the Princess sitting to Mr. Lawrence for her picture at Blackheath, and in London. I have left her at his house in town with him, but I think Mrs. Fitzgerald was with her; and she sat alone with him, I think, at Blackheath. I was never in her Royal Highness's confidence, but she has always been kind and good-natured to me. She never mentioned Captain anby particularly to me. I remember her being blooded the day Lady Sheffield's child was christened. Not several times, that I recollect; nor any other time; nor believe she was in the habit of being blooded twice a year. The Princess at one time appeared to like Lady Douglas. Sir John came frequently. Sir Sydney Smith visited about the same time with the Douglases. I have seen Sir Sydney there very late in the evening, but not alone with the Princess. I have no reason to suspect he had a key of the Park gate. I have heard of somebody being found wandering about late at night at Mount Edgcumbe, when the Princess was there. I heard that two women and a man were seen crossing the hall. The Princess saw a great deal of company at Mount Edgcumbe. Sir Richard Strachan was reported to have spoken freely of the Princess. I did not hear that he had offered a rudeness to her person. She told me she had heard he had spoken disrespectfully of her, and therefore I believe wrote to him by Sir Samuel Hood.

HESTER LISLE, Sworn before us in Downing-street, this 3d day of July, 1806,


A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 28.)

Lower Brook-street, July 5, 1806. MY LORD,-Before your arrival in Downing-street last night, I bespoke the indul

gence of the Lords of his Majesty's Council for inaccuracy as to dates, respecting any at. tendance at Blackheath, before 1803. Having only notice in the forenoon of an examination, I could not prepare myself for it to any period previous to that year, and I now hasten as fast as the examination of my papers will permit, to correct an error into which I fell, in stating to their Lordships, that I attended her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales in the spring of 1802, and that I then met bis Royal Highness the late Duke of Gloucester, at Blackheath, it was in the spring of 1801, and not in 1802, that, after attending her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales for ten or twelve days, I had the honour of seeing the Duke of Gloucester at her house.

I have the honour to be, &c.

[blocks in formation]
« PoprzedniaDalej »