Obrazy na stronie
[blocks in formation]


I am the wife of Francis Gosden, who is a servant of the Princess of Wales, and has lived with her Royal Highness eleven years. In November, 1802, I was sent for to the Princess's house to look after a little child; I understood that he had been then nine days in the house. I was nurse to the child. One of the ladies, I think Miss Sander, delivered the child to me, and told me her Royal Highness wished me to take care of him. The child never slept with the Princess. I sometimes used to take him to the Princess before she was up, and leave him with her on her bed. The child had a mark on the hand, it appeared to be a stain of wine, but is now worn out. I was about a year and three quarters with the child. The mother used to come often to see him. I never saw the Princess dress the child, or take off its things herself; but she has seen me do it. The child is not so much with the Princess now as he was.


Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downing-
street, the 23d day of June, 1806, before us,

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 18.)

DEPOSITION OF BETTY TOWNLEY. I lived at Charlton sixteen years, and till within the last two years. I was a laundress, and used

to wash linen for the Princess of Wales's family. After the Princess left Charlton and went to Blackheath, I used to go over to Blackheath to fetch the linen to wash. I have had linen from the Princess's house the same as other ladies: I mean that there were such appearances on it as might arise from natural causes to which women are subject. I never washed the Princess's own bed-linen, but once or twice occasionally. I recollect one bundle of linen once coming, which I thought rather more marked than usual. They told me that the Princess had been bled with

leeches, and it had dirtied the linen more: the servants told me so; but I don't remember who the servants were that told me so. I recollect once, I came to town and left the linen with my daughter to wash; I looked at the clothes slowly before I went, and counted them, and my daughter, and a woman she employed with her, washed them while I was in town. I thought when I looked them over that there might be something more than usual. My opinion was that it was from

The linen had the appearance of

I believed it at the time. They were fine damask napkins, and some of them marked with a little red crown in the corner, and some without marks. I might mention it to Fanny Lloyd. I don't recollect when this was, but it must be more than two years and a half ago; for I did not wash for the Princess's family but very little for the last six months. Mary Wilson used to give me the linen, and I believe it was she who told me that the Princess was bled with leeches; but the appearance of the linen which I have spoken of before, was different from that which it was said was stained by bleeding with leeches. I remember the child coming. I used to wash the linen for the child, and Mrs. Gosden who nursed the child, used to pay me for it. I kept a book, in which I entered the linen I washed. I am not sure whether I have it still :-but if I have, it is in a chest at my daughter's, at Charlton, and I will produce it if I can find it.


Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downing-
street, the 23d of June, 1806, before us,

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 19.)



I am a surgeon and apothecary at Greenwich, and was appointed the surgeon and apothecary of the Princess of Wales, in 1801. From that time I have attended her Royal Highness and her household. I knew Fanny Lloyd who attended in the coffee-room, at the Princess's. I frequently attended her for colds. I do not recollect that I ever said any thing to her respecting the Princess of Wales. It never once entered my thoughts, while I attended the Princess, that

she was pregnant. I never said that she was so to Fanny Lloyd. I have bled the Princess twice; the second bleeding was in 1802, and it was in the June quarter, as appears by the book I kept. I don't know what she was bled for-it was at her own desire-it was not by any medical advice. I was unwilling to do it, but she wished it. If I recollect, she complained of a pain in her chest, but I don't remember that she had any illness. I did not use to bleed her twice a year. I certainly saw her Royal Highness in November 1802. I saw her on the 16th of November, but I had not any idea of her being then with child. I did not attend her on the 16th of November, but I saw her then; I was visiting a child (a male child,) from Deptford. I have no recollection of having seen the Princess in October, 1802. The child must have been from three to five months old when I first saw it. I have no recollection of the Princess having been ill about the end of October, 1802. I have visited the child very often since, and I have always understood it to be the same child. The Princess used sometimes to send for leeches, and had them from me. I don't think that I attended the Princess, or saw her often, in the summer and autumn of 1802. I had not the sole care of the Princess's health during the time I have spoken of. Sir Francis Millman attended her occasionally.

THOMAS EDMEADES. Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downingstreet, the 25th day of June, 1806, before us, ERSKINE, SPENCER, GRENVILLE, ELLENBOROUGH.

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 20.)

DEPOSITION OF SAMUEL GILLAM MILLS, OF GREENWICH, SURGEON. I am a surgeon at Greenwich; have been in partnership with Mr. Edmeades since 1800. Before he was my partner I attended the Princess of Wales's family from the time of her coming to Blackheath from Charlton. I was appointed by the Princess her surgeon, in April, 1801, by a written appointment, and from that time I never attended her Royal Highness, or any of the servants, in my medical capacity, except that I once attended Miss Gouch, and once Miss Millfield. There was a child brought to the Princess while I attended her. I was called upon to examine the child. It was a girl. It must have been in 1801, or thereabouts. The child afterwards had the measles, and I attended her. When first I saw the child, I think it must have been about ten months old. It must have been prior to April, 1801. I understood that the child was taken through charity. I remember that there was a female servant who attended in the coffee-room. I never said to that woman, or to any other person, that the Princess was with child, or looked as if she was with child, and I never thought so, or surmised any thing of the kind. I was once

sent for by her Royal Highness to bleed her. I was not at home, and Mr. Edmeades bled her. I had bled her two or three times before; it was by direction of Sir Francis Millman. It was for an inflammation she had on the lungs. As much as I knew it was not usual for the Princess to be bled twice a year. I don't know that any other medical person attended her at the time that I did, nor do I believe that there did. I don't know that Sir Francis Millman had advised that she should be blooded at the time that I was sent for and was not at home, nor what was the cause of her being then blooded. I do recollect something of having attended the servant who was in the coffee-room, for a cold, but I am sure I never said to her that the Princess was with child, or looked as if she was so. I have known that the Princess has frequently sent to Mr. Edmeades for leeches. When I saw the female child, Mrs. Sander was in the room, and some other servants, but I don't recollect who. I was sent for to see whether there was any disease about the child-to see whether it was a healthy child, as her Royal Highness meant to take it under her patronage. The child could just walk alone. I saw the child frequently afterwards. It was at one time with Bidgood, and another time with Gosden and his wife. I don't recollect that the Princess was by at any time when I saw the child. I never saw the child in Montague House when I attended it as a patient, but when I was first sent for to see if the child had any disease it was in Montague House. SAMUEL GILLAM MILLS.

Sworn at Lord Grenville's house, in Downingstreet, the 25th day of June, 1806, before us, ERSKINE, SPENCER, GRENVILLE, ELLENBOROUGH.

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 21.)



I came first to live with the Princess of Wales in 1801, merely as a friend and companion, and have continued to live with her Royal Highness to this time. I know Lady Douglas. I remember her lying in. It happened by accident that her Royal Highness was in the house at the time of Lady Douglas's delivery. I think it was in July, 1802. I was there myself. The Princess was not in the room at the time Lady Douglas was delivered. There was certainly no appearance of the Princess being pregnant at that time. I saw the Princess at that time every day, and at all hours. I believe it to be quite impossible that the Princess should have been with child without my observing it. I never was at breakfast with the Princess at Lady Willoughby's. Princess took a little girl into the house about nine years ago. I was not in the house at the time. I was in the house when the boy, who is now there, was brought there. She had said before openly that she should like to have a child,



and she had asked the servant who brought the child, if he knew of any persons who would part with a child. I was at Southend with the Princess. I remember Captain Manby being there sometimes. He was not there very often. He used to come at different hours, as the tide served. He dined there, but never stayed late. I was at Southend all the time the Princess was there. I cannot recollect that I have seen Captain Manby there, or known him to be there, later than nine, or half after nine. I never knew of any correspondence by letter with him when he was abroad. I don't recollect to have seen him ever early in the morning at the Princess's. I was at Ramsgate with the Princess. Captain Manby may have dined there once. He never slept there to my knowledge, nor do I believe he did. The Princess rises at different hours, seldom before ten or eleven. I never knew her up at six o'clock in the morning. If she had been up so early I should not have known it, not being up so early myself. I remember the Princess giving Captain Manby an inkstand. He had the care of two boys whom she protected. I can't say that Captain Manby did not sleep at Southend. He may have slept in the village, but I believe he never slept in the Princess's house. I was at Catherington with the Princess. I remember her Royal Highness going out in an open carriage with the present Lord Hood. I believe Lord Hood's servant attended them. There was only one servant, and no other carriage with them. I was at Dawlish this summer with the Princess, and afterwards at Mount Edgcumbe. The Princess saw a great deal of company there. Sir Richard Strachan used to come there. I don't know what was the cause of his discontinuing his visits there. I remember Sir Sidney Smith being frequently at Montague house. He was sometimes there as late as twelve and one o'clock in the morning, but never alone that I know of. The Princess was not in the room when Lady Douglas was brought to bed. I know she was not, because I was in the room myself when Lady Douglas was delivered. Dr. Mackie of Lewisham, was the accoucheur. I don't recollect Sir Sidney Smith ever being alone with the Princess in the evening. It may have happened, but I don't know that it did. I used to sit with the Princess always in the evening, but not in the morning. I was with the Princess in the Isle of Wight. Mr. Hood and Lord Amelius Beauclerc were there with her. She went there from Portsmouth.

HARRIETT FITZGERALD. Sworn before us at Lord Grenville's house, in Downing-street, the 27th day of June, 1806,

before us,

[blocks in formation]

A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 22.)

Whitehall, July 1, 1806. MY LORD-The extreme importance of the business on which I have before troubled your Lordship and Lady Willoughby, makes it the indispensible duty of the persons to whom his Majesty has entrusted the inquiry, further to request that ker Ladyship will have the goodness to return in writing, distinct and separate answers to the enclosed Queries. They beg leave to add, that in the discharge of the trust committed to them, they have been obliged to examiné upon oath the several persons to whose testimony they have thought it right to have recourse on this occasion. They have been unwilling to give Lady Willoughby the trouble of so long a journey for that purs pose, well knowing the full reliance which may be placed on every thing which shall be stated by her Ladyship in this form. But on her return to town it may probably be judged necessary, for the sake of uniformity in this most important proceeding, that she should be so good as to confirm on oath, the truth of the written answers requested from her Ladyship. (No Signature in the original.)

(No. 23.)

Sidmouth, July 3, 1806. MY LORD,-I immediately communicated to Lady Willoughby the Queries transmitted to me in the envelope of a letter dated July the first, which I had the honour to receive this day from your Lordship. I return the Queries with Lady Willoughby's answers in her own hand-writing.

We are both truly sensible of your Lordship's kind attention in not requiring Lady Willoughby's personal attendance. She wil most readily obey the order of the council, should her presence become necessary.-I have the honour, &c.

To Earl SPENCER, &c. &c. &c. A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 24.)


Ques. Does Lady Willoughby remember seeing the Princess of Wales at breakfast or dinner at her house, either at Whitehall or Beckenham, on or about the months of May or June, 1802 ?

Ans. In the course of the last ten years the Princess of Wales has frequently done me the honour to breakfast and dine at Whitehall,, and Langley, in Kent. Her Royal Highness may have been at my house in the months of


May or June, 1802, but of the periods at which I had the honour of receiving her, I have no precise recollection.

Ques. Has her Ladyship any recollection of the circumstance of her Royal Highness having retired from the company at such breakfast or dinner, on account, or under the pretence, of having spilt any thing over her handkerchief? And if so, did Lady Willoughby attend her Royal Highness on that occasion? and what then passed between them relative to that circumstance?

Ans. I do not remember her Royal Highness having at any time, retired from the company, either at Whitehall, or at Langley, un. der the pretence of having spilt any thing over her handkerchief.

Ques.-Had Lady Willoughby frequent opportunities in the course of that year, to see her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales, and at what periods? And did she at any time during the year, observe any appearance, which led her to suspect that the Princess of Wales was pregnant?

Ans. To the best of my remembrance I had few opportunities of seeing the Princess of Wales in the year 1802, and I do not recollect having observed any particular circumstances relative to her Royal Highness's appearance.

Ques.-Is Lady Willoughby acquainted with any other circumstance leading to the same conclusion, or tending to establish the fact of a criminal intercourse, or improper familiarity between her Royal Highness and any other person whatever? and if so, what are they?

Ans-During the ten years I have had the honour of knowing the Princess of Wales, I do not bear in mind a single instance of her Royal Highness's conduct in society towards any individual, tending to establish the fact of a criminal intercourse, or improper familiarity. WILLOUGHBY.


The Princess used to go out in her phaeton with coachman and helper, towards Long Reach, eight or ten times, carrying luncheon and wine with her, when Captain Manby's ship was at Long Reach-always Mrs. Fitzgerald with her She would go out at one, and return about five or six-sometimes sooner or later. The day the Africaine sailed from Southend the Princess ordered us to pack up for Blackheath next morning. Captain Manby was there three times a week at the least, whilst his ship lay for six weeks off Southend at the Nore-be came as tide servedased to come in a morning and dine and drink

tea. I have seen him next morning by ten o'clock' I suspected he slept at No. 9, the Princess's-she always put out the candles herself in the draw. room at No. 9, and bid me not wait to put them up; she gave me the orders as soon as she went to Southend. I used to see water-jugs, basons, and towels, set out opposite the Princess's door, in the passage,-never saw them so left in the passage at any other time; and I suspected he was there at those times. There was a general suspicion throughout the house. Mrs. and Miss Fitzgerald there, and Miss Hamond, (now Lady Hood) there. My suspicions arose from seeing them in the glasses kiss each other, as I mention. ed before, like people fond of each other—a very close kiss. Her behaviour like that of a woman attached to a man;-used to be by themselves at luncheon at Southend-when ladies not sent for, a number of times. There was a poney which Captain Manby used to ride; it stood in the stable ready for him,and which Sicard used to ride. The servants used to talk and laugh about Captain Manby, it was matter of discourse amongst them. I lived there when Sir Sidney Smith came, her manner with him appeared very familiar. She appeared very attentive to him but I did not suspect any thing farther. All the upper servants had keys of the doors to the Park to let her Royal Highness in and out. I used to see Sicard receive letters from Mrs. Sander to put in the post instead of the bag. This was after Captain Manby was gone to sea. I suspected this to be for Captain Manby, and others in the house suspected the same.

R. BIDGOOD. Sworn before us in Downing-street, this third day of July.


A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 26.)

SIR FRANCIS MILLMAN'S DEPOSITION. I attended the Princess of Wales in the Spring and latter end of the year 1802; i. e. in March, and towards the autumn. Mr. Mills of Greenwich attended then as her Royal Highness's apothecary, and Mr. Mills and his partner Mr. Edmeades have attended since. I do not know that any other medical person attended at that time, either as apothecary or physician. In March 1802, I attended her for a sore throat and fever. In 1803, in April, I attended her Royal High. ness again, with Sir Walter Farquhar. I don't know whether she was blooded in 1802. She was with difficulty persuaded to be blooded in 1803, for a pain in her chest, saying she had not been blooded before; that they could not find a vein in her arm. I saw no mark on her arm of her having been blooded before. I observed her Royal Highness's person at the end of that year 1802. Never observed then, or at any other time, any thing which induced me to think her Royal

Highness was in a pregnant situation. I think it is impossible she should, in that year, have been delivered of a child without my observing it. She during that year, and at all times, was in the habit of receiving the visits of the Duke of Gloucester.

I never attended her Royal Highness but on extraordinary illnesses. Her Royal Highness has, for the last year and half had her prescriptions made up at Walker and Young's, St. James's-street.

If she had been a pregnant woman in June
1802, I could not have helped observing it.
Sworn before us in Downing-street, July 3d,
1806, by the said Sir Francis Millman.


A true Copy-J. Becket.

(No. 27.)

I saw

THE DEPOSITION OF MRS. LISLE. 1 (HESTER LISLE) am in the Princess of Wales's family; have been so ever since her Royal Highness's marriage. I was not at Southend with the Princess-was at Blackheath with her in 1802, but am not perfectly sure as to date. I am generally a month at a time (three months in the year) with her Royal Highness; in April, August, and December; was so in August, 1802. I did not observe any alteration in her Royal Highness's shape which gave me any idea that she was pregnant. I had no reason to know or believe that she was pregnant. During my attendance, hardly a day passes without my seeing her. She couldnot have been far advanced in pregnancy without my knowing it. I was at East Cliff with her Royal Highness in August, 1803. Captain Manby only once at East Cliff, in August, 1803, to the best of my recollection. He might have been oftener: and once again at Deal Castle. Captain Manby landed there with some boys the Princess takes on charity. I saw Captain Manby at East Cliff one morning, not particularly early. I don't know of any presents which the Princess made Captain Manby-have seen Captain Manby at Blackheath one Christmas. He used to come to dine the Christmas before we were at Rams gate-it was the Christmas after Mrs. Austin's child came. He always went away in my presence; I had no reason to think be staid after we, the ladies, retired. He lodged on the Heath at that time-I believe his ship was fitting up at Deptford. He was there frequently, I think not every day-he generally came to dinner-three or four times a week, or more-I suppose he might be alone with her, but the Princess is in the habit of seeing gentlemen and tradesmen without my being present.-I haye seen him at luncheon and dinner both. The

boys came with him, not to dinner, and not generally; not above two or three times two boys ;-I think Sir Sydney Smith came also frequently the Christmas before that, to the best of my recollection. At dinner, when Captain Manby dined, he always sat next her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. The constant company were, Mrs. and Miss Fitzgerald and myself; we all retired with the Princess, and sat in the same room. He generally retired about eleven o'clock; he sat with us till then. This occurred three or four times a week, or more. Her Royal Highness, the Lady in waiting, and her Page, have each a key of the door from the Greenhouse to the Park. Captain Manby and the Princess used, when we were together, to be speaking together separately-conversing separately, but not in a room alone together, to my knowledge. He was a person with whom she appeared to have greater pleasure in talking than to her ladies. She behaved to him only as any woman would who likes flirting. I should not have thought any married woman would have behaved properly who should have behaved as her Royal Highness did to Captain Manby. I can't say whether she was attached to Captain Manby, only that it was a flirting conduct.-Never saw any gallantries, as kissing her hand, or the like.

I was with her Royal Highness at Lady Sheffield's last Christmas, in Sussex. I inquired what company was there when I came. She said only Mr. John Chester, who was there by her Royal Highness's orders: that she could get no other company to meet her, on account of the roads and season of the year. He dined and slept there that night. The next day other company came; Mr. Chester remained. I heard her Royal Highness say she had been ill in the night, and came and lighted her candle in the servant's room. I returned from Sheffield Place to Blackheath with the Princess-Captain Moore dined there I left him and the Princess twice alone, for a short time-he might be alone half an hour with her-in the room below, in which we had been sitting-I went to look for a book, to complete a set her Royal Highness was lending Captain Moore. She made him a present of an inkstand, to the best of my recollection. He was there one morning in January last, on the Princess Charlotte's birth-day; he went away before the rest of the company: 1 might be absent about twenty minutes the second time I went away, the night Captain Moore was there. At Lady Shef field's, her Royal Highness paid more attention to Mr. Chester than to the rest of the company. I knew of her Royal Highness walking out alone twice with Mr. Chester-in the morningalone once a short time; it rained; the other, not an hour; not long. Mr. Chester is a pretty young man. Her attentions to him were not uncommon; not the same as to Captain Manby. 1 am not certain whether the Princess answered

« PoprzedniaDalej »