Obrazy na stronie

The Bishop was born at Drogheda, September 27, 1775. In his early years he enjoyed the blessings of a domestic education, and at the age of 11 he was sent to a public school. Having passed through the ordinary routine of studies at Colbridge and Londonderry, he entered the Dublin University in 1791, and almost immediately became distinguished as a sound and elegant scholar.

This was the “golden age". the Dublin University; never was there a period in its history when science and polite literature were so ardently cultivated and so closely united. Among Jebb's contemporaries were Lord, the present Provost; Davenport, the unflinching advocate of liberal principles ; Wray, Sandes, Sadlier and Wall, now Fellows of the University; M‘Mahon, Wallace, Torrens, Peresi, Blacker, and other ornaments of the Irish bar; with George Croly and Charles Maturin, who have gained for themselves a universal fame. In this galaxy of talent, Jebb shone not the least conspicuous; he won the honours of the University nobly, and he wore them unenvied; for his amiable temper, his kind heart, and his utter disregard of self, had endeared him to all.

Mr. Jebb was a distinguished member of the Historical Society, and the charms of his eloquence are still among the pleasant reminiscences of his contemporaries. One only of his addresses has been preserved; it was delivered from the chair of the society on the occasion of the death of two young men, Reid and Sargeant, youths of high promise, cut off prematurely at the moment that the hopes and proud anticipations of their friends seemed about to be realized. Similitary of diposition and pursuits had united them to Jebb in the strictest bonds of affection, and he, who had to pronounce their funeral eulogy, was the person who felt their loss most bitterly. No stranger can read this simple and pathetic address without being affected; but those alone who heard it, can picture the effect that its delivery produced.

In 1797, Mr. Jebb obtained two of the three divinity premiums established that year on the foundation of Mr. Downes; and in 1799 he left the University, and was admitted to holy orders by Bishop Young.

For about five years Mr. Jebb continued curate of Swanlinbar, and was universally beloved; by the Catholics he was revered as highly as by the Protestants; in works of charity he knew no religious difference, and his spirit was too mild for controversy.

The late Archbishop of Cashel embraced the earliest opportunity of removing Jebb to his diocese, by presenting him to the rectory of Abingdon; and he consulted him in his plans for rendering the Irish church more truly national.

In January, 1823, Dr. Jebb was consecrated Bishop of Limerick. This diocese, one of the most extensive in Ireland, contained in it some of the most miserable and disturbed districts. It had also its full share of neglected curates, and a fair sprinkling of negligent rectors. The gentle mind of Jebb seemed ill-calculated to encounter such a complication of difficulties, but he soon showed that mildness is not inconsistent with firmness, and that the meek, when principle is concerned, manifest a strength of resolution which cannot be shaken. The new bishop declared that he would disregard aristocratic influence, and he kept his word; in bestowing patronage, his choice was guided by merit alone; the unostentatious claims of the working clergy were with him more powerful than the pressing solicitations of the great; and the curate who despaired of reward because he had no patron, found that his labours were his best introduction, and his most powerful advocate the heart of his diocesan.

In 1824, Dr. Jebb, for the first, and it is believed for the only time, addressed the House of Lords; the professed object of his speech was the defence of the Irish Church, but he added to it a terrible exposure of the inhumanity of Irish landlords, resident and absentee. His name became at once popular in England; inquiries were made respecting his literary productions, their value for the first time was made known; and, at the same moment, he came into possession of the fame of an accomplished orator and a sound theologian.

His original works are not numerous, but they are all of sterling merit. His first publication was a Sermon preached in 1803 before the Lord-Lieutenant and the members of the Irish Association for Discountenancing Vice. In 1815 he published a volume of “ Sermons on subjects chiefly practical.” His“ Essay on Sacred Literature” is his most finished and valued performance ; it is one of the finest specimens of sacred criticism in our language. “ Practical Theology” was his last original work.

LIEUTENANT-GENEKAL LEWIS. Dec. 27.–At Rochester, aged nearly 80, Lieut.-Gen. Theophilus Lewis, colonel-commandant in the royal marines..

This officer was appointed second-lieut to that force in 1773, first-lieut. 1776, captain-lieut. 1780, captain in 1781, major in the army 1798, in royal marines 1801, lieut.-colonel 1803, colonel in the army in 1808, major-general 1811, and lieut.-general 1821. He had served in every quarter of the globe, and was present in ten general actions at sea, six of which were on board the Hero, in the squadron commanded by Commodore Johnston, between 1781 and 1783. From the latter year, until the close of 1791, he was on half-pay. In 1793 he embarked on board the Leviathan, in the fleet commanded by Lord Howe, and was engaged on the 28th and 29th of May, and 1st of June, 1794; and again, June 23rd, 1795, on board the Sans-Pareil, in Lord Bridport's fleet, when it took three French sail of the line. The death of this veteran was occasioned by an altercation and scuffle which he had with his drunken housekeeper, of whose violence he had been frequently warned by his friends; but whom, being an old servant, he could never be prevailed upon to discharge. dil

GENERAL STACK. At Calais, at a very advanced age, General Edward Stack. He was an Irishman by birth, and his life was full of adventure. In his youth he was one of the Aids-de-Camp of Louis XV., and went to America with Gen. Lafayette. He was on board Paul Jones's ship Le Bon Homme Richard, when she took the Seraphis, Captain Pearson. He afterwards went to the East Indies with the Marquis de Bouillé, and there distinguished himself in supporting the honour of the flag under which he served. At a later period he was a companion in arms of General Clark, after Duke de Feltre. He then commanded the regiment of Dillon, in the Irish brigade, which he did not leave till the revolution, when it ceased to exist. He was at Coblentz with Charles X., then Count d'Artois. He afterwards entered the service of his native country, and was one of Buonaparte's detenus, first remaining a prisoner at Biche for three years, and afterwards at Verdun, where he was detained till the restoration. Not only was he the fellow-prisoner of the Duc d'Enghien, for secret service to his own government while in France, but it was intended he should suffer death immediately after that prince, in the same manner and on the same spot. He was fully prepared for it, when, only half an hour before the appointed time, a countermand was received, for which various motives were alleged; but the general attributed it to fear of retribution.

At the period of his promotion to the rank of major-general in the British service, Roman Catholics were not eligible to hold a higher commission than colonel, and an official letter was written to him from the Horse Guards, to know if he was of that religion; his answer was short and plain, and was as follows :

* Sir,- I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter, and beg to acquaint you, for the information of his Royal Highness the Commander-in-Chief, that I am of the religion that makes General officers, and have the honour to be your obedient servant,

“ EDWARD STACK, Major-General. “ To the Military Secretary.”

He was tall and thin in person, sprightly and elegant, his manners most accomplished, and he might be said to be learned. Nothing in all his varied career was forgotten, and there is reason to believe he has left some curious memorials behind him.


Chronicle of Events and Occurrences.

Jan. 1.-A DREADFUL fire at Liverpool, in which property to the amount of nearly 300,0001. is said to have been destroyed. It broke out in the office of Mr. Godie, on the New Quay, and rapidly communicated to the buildings and warehouses in the neighbourhood. Ten lives were sacrificed, and Colonel Jordon, the inspecting field-officer of the district, had both his legs broken, by the falling of the wall of a warehouse in Lancelot's-quay. The vessels in the Prince's dock were in imminent danger during its progress. So intense was the heat from the burning pile, that those which lay opposite to the space ravaged by the flames, were only saved from destruction by the incessant use of water, which kept their rigging, decks, &c., wet. The property insured in the different offices stands thus :-Phenix, 34,0001. ; Sun, 25,0001. ; Protector, 5,0001. ; Globe, 1,5001. ; Imperial, 16,0001. ; Royal Exchange, 4,0001. ; West of England, 4,0001. ; Manchester, 16,0001.; Atlas, 4,0001. ; Norwich, 1,0001.; Leeds and Yorkshire, 3,0001.; Alliance, 8,0001. :-total 121,0001. 5.

Wren, the young man convicted at the Lewes assizes, in December, of setting fire to a rick at Uckfield, executed at Horsham. He slept soundly the night previous to the execution, and when the goaler awoke him from his last sleep in this world he said, “ If you had not awoke me, I should have slept for two hours longer.” He ascended the platform with a firm step, and just before he was turned off he advanced to the front and addressed the spectators, beseeching them to lead good lives, but persisting in his innocence. His last words were, “ I am a murdered man,—I die innocent, so help me God!" which declaration he accompanied by stamping his foot.

7.-Execution of William Johnstone, for the murder of Benjamin Crouch Danby, at Enfield, in December, 1832.—See our last year's REGISTER, p. 365. He confessed the murder.

On the same day, at Horsemonger-lane, was executed John Hallahan, convicted at the Surrey assizes, for robbing and maltreating David Green, 72 years of age. The offence for which


he suffered, was committed in November, 1832, near Addington, in Surrey, and upon the testimony of the prosecutor, who identified the prisoner after the commission of the offence, it appeared that after the old man was robbed, his assailant dragged him towards a ditch and beat him unmercifully over the head and body with a blackthorn stick, until he rendered his victim insensible. Since the condemnation of Hallahan, he had uniformly denied that he was of the party who had attacked the prosecutor, and declared that he was innocent of the crime with which he was charged; and up to the moment the drop fell the unhappy man reiterated his innocence of the crime, although he had been guilty of many heinous offences.

10.-An adjourned inquest held on the body of Signor George Deville, aged 45, one of the principal singers at the King's Theatre. It appeared that the deceased, who was intimately acquainted with Spagnoletti, the leader of the band' at the King's Theatre, and other distinguished musical characters, was engaged to sing at the Opera House. On the night of the 8th he retired to bed at his customary hour, at his residence, at 34, Wardour

On the following morning his servant went to call him, when, receiving no answer, the door was burst open, and he was discovered in bed a corpse. A surgeon gave it as his opinion that the deceased had died of apoplexy, and a verdict to that effect was returned. A large sum of money (together with his gold watch and appendages) were found under his pillow.

11.--A fire in the house of Mrs. Harrison, Downing-street, Deptford, which totally destroyed the premises and furniture. It is supposed that the fire originated by a cat throwing down a clothes-horse, which was placed near the grate. The damage estimated at between 4 and 5001.

14.—Fifty female convicts, sentenced to various terms of transportation, removed in a van from Newgate, to be conveyed to the hulks at Woolwich, preparatory to their being sent to New South Wales.

16.-An inquest held at the sign of the Swan, West Wickham, before Mr. C. J. Carttar, on view of the body of Mary Bishop, upwards of 82 years of age. Verdict—" Accidental Death.” It is supposed the old lady's clothes caught while sitting by the fire, and that she, being so far advanced in years, was unable to call for assistance. The same day, before the same Coroner, another inquest was held, at the Castle Inn, Woolwich, on view of the body of John Green, an infant, aged 10 months. It appeared in evidence that the mother, who was endeavouring to save the child from falling, overturned a large basin of boiling water upon its head, which so dreadfully scalded the poor little sufferer as to cause its eath. Verdict “Accidental Death."

An inquest held at Brunswick-terrace, Ball's-pond, Islington, on the bodies of Ann Slymm and John Dickson. The

« PoprzedniaDalej »