« PoprzedniaDalej »
To be taught the fear of God whilst in the simplicity of childhood, and to have the heart expanded with a sense of the ineffable love of the Redeemer, in early life, is a blessing not to be estimated by a comparison with any worldly accomplishments. Such as are thus instructed, as they advance in years, will be likely to escape many of the snares into which the ignorant and unwary are easily betrayed ; and, through Divine grace, to attain to a capacity for religious useful. ness beyond what others are likely to acquire. To his younger friends, therefore, the Author recommends this little work, with an affectionate solicitude for their advancement in the scale of Christian excellence ; trusting they will not find it a laborious task, but an interesting and edifying practice, to endeavour to fortify and enrich their minds, by committing some portion of the Holy Scriptures daily to memory.
GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW.
THE BIRTH OF CHRIST.
Read Matthew's account of the incarnation of the Son of God.
Ver. 8. Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, sbe was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19. Then Joseph, ber husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
20. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying: Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife; for that which is conceived in ber is of the Holy Ghost.
21. And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus :* for He shall save his people from their sins.
Recite the prophecy which was fulfilled by the miraculous birth of Christ.
22. Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying :
23. Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son; and they shall call his name EMMANUEL, which being interpreted is, God with us. +
THE MAGI WORSHIP CHRIST.-HEROD'S CRUELTY.-JOSEPH's
FLIGHT INTO EGYPT.
By what token were the wise men of the East directed to enquire for Jesus ?
2. They said : Where is he that is born King of the Jews ? for we have seen his star in the East, and are come to worship bim.
How did the wise men find the precise place of Christ's birth?
* That is, The Saviour,
+ See Isaiah vii. 14,