« PoprzedniaDalej »
33. When the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
34. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying: Eloi ! Eloi ! lama sabacthani ? Which is, being interpreted : My God! my God! why bast Thou forsaken Me?
37. And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
38. And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.
Who undertook the interment of the body of Jesus?
43. Joseph of Arimathea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
46. And be bought fine linen, and took Him down, and wrapped Him in the linen, and laid Him in a sepulchre which was bewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
* The Jews computed the hours of their day from six in the morning to six in the evening. Thus their first hour corresponded with our seven o'clock, A. M. their sixth with our twelve, or nood; their ninth with our three o'clock, P. M. &c,
CARIST'S RESURRECTION.-HIS APPEARANCE. —AIS ASCENSION.
In what manner were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, who first visited the sepulchre of Jesus, apprized of his resurrection?
2. Very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
3. And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre ?
4. And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled
for it was very great. 5. And entering into the scpulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6. And he saith unto them: Be not affrighted. Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified. He is risen ; He is not bere; behold the place where they laid Him.
To whom did Jesus first make Himself known after his resurrection?
9. Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene.
10. And she went and told them that had been with Him, as they mourned and wept.
When our Lord was risen, and had made Himself known to the eleven disciples, what was the injunction He laid upon them?
15. Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned.
GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. LUKE.
LUKE'S PREFACE.--AN ANGEL FOR ETELS THE BIRTA OF JORN.
To whom did the Evangelist Luke address his narrative of the Gospelmand what does he assign as the motive which induced him to write it ?
1. Forasmuch as many have taken in band to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed amongst us,
2. Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eye-witnesses, and ministers of the word ;
3. It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus ;
4. Tbat thou mightest know the certainty of those things wherein thou hast been instructed.
What was predicted of John the Baptist by
the angel who appeared to Zacharias in the temple ?
13. The angel said unto him: Fear not, Zacharias ; for thy prayer is heard, and thy wife Elizabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou sbalt call his name Jobn.
14. And thou shalt bave joy and gladness, and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink : and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
16. And many of the children of Israel sball he turn to the Lord their God.
17. And he shall go before Him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just: to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
What was the message of the angel Gabriel, to Mary the mother of Jesus ?
28. The angel came in unto her, and said : Hail, thon that art highly favoured ! the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women !
30. Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found favour with God.
31. And, behold, thou shalt conceive, and bring forth a son; and shall call his name Jesus.
32. He shall be great, and shall be called the