« PoprzedniaDalej »
when the master of the house cometh; at even, or at midnight, or at the cock-crowing, or in the morning:*
36. Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
37. And wbat I say unto you, I say unto all, Watch.
TIE ALABASTER BOX OF OINTMENT.-JUDAS'S DESIGN EXPOSED.
THE PASSOVER EATEN.-CHRIST'S AGONY.-18 BETRAYED BY
When some took offence at the woman who poured spikenard on the head of Jesus, how did He rebuke them, and commend her piety?
6. Jesus said : Let her alone; w.by trouble ye ber? she bath wrought a good work on Me.
8. She hath done what she could ; she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
9. Verily I say unto you, wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the world, this also that she hath done, shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
* During the tiine of our Saviour, the Jews divided the night into four watches, which are here distinctly enumerated. The first watch, or EVEN, corresponded with the space from our six to nine o'clock; the second, MIDNIGHT, from nine to twelve; the third, COCK-CROWING, from twelve to three; the fourth, MORNING, from three to six. See note at page 85.
When Jesus was eating with his disciples at the passover, in what manner did He point out the one who would betray Him?
18. As they sat and did eat, Jesus said: Verily I say unto you, one of you which eateth with Me shall betray Me.
19. And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto Him, one by one, Is it I ? and another said, Is it I?
20. And He answered and said unto them; It is one of the twelve that dippeth with Me in the dish.
What were the expressions of Jesus concerning him who was about to belray Him?
21. The Son of man indeed goeth as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed ! good were it for that man if he had never been born.
What were the significant tokens by which our Lord at the last supper declared Himself to be the atonement for the sins of the world?
22. As they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and said: Take, eat; this is my body.
23. And He took the cup; and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them; and they all drank of it.
24. And He said unto them: This is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many.
25. Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
What is related of the distress of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, and of his resignation to the Father's will ?
33. He taketh with Him Peter, and James, and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
34. And saith unto them: My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death; tarry ye here and watch.
35. And He went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him.
36. And He said : Abba, Father, all things are possible unto Thee; take away this cup from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what Thou wilt.
What was that gentle rebuke by which our Lord reproved his disciples when He found them sleeping during his agony in the garden?
37. He cometh and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter: Simon, sleepest thou ?. couldst not thou watch one bour?
38. Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.
What was that treacherous sign by which Jesus was pointed out to those whom the chief priests and scribes had sent to seize Him?
44. He that betrayed Him bad given them a token, saying; Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is He; take Him and lead Him away safely.
BAR ABBAS RELEASED. CHRIST CRUCIFIED. HIS BURIAL.
Who was that prisoner whose release the chief priests excited the people to ask, in preference to Jesus ; 'when, according to the custom at the passover, one was about to be set at liberty ?
7. One Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made insurrection with him, who bad committed murder in the insurrection.
What treatment did Jesus receive from the Jews after He had been scourged, and was delivered up to be crucified ?
17. They clothed Him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head.
18. And began to salute Him: Hail, King of the Jews!
19. And they smote Him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon Him, and bowing their knees, worshiped Him.
20. And when they had mocked Him, they took off the purple from Him, and put his own clothes on Him, and led Him out to crucify Him.
What was the manner of our Lord's crucifixion
21. They compel one Simon, a Cyrenian, who passed by, to bear his cross;
22. And they bring Him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, the place of a skull.
23. And they gave Him to drink, wine mingled with myrrh ; but He received it not.
24. And when they had crucified Him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take.
15. And it was the third hour, and they crucified Him.
26. And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
27. And with Him they crucify two thieves, the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.
28. And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith : And He was numbered with the transgressors.
How is the agony described which Jesus sustained on the cross; and what were those awful signs which occurred on this occasion ?