« PoprzedniaDalej »
9. Lo, the star which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
When Herod sought the young child, to destroy him, what means did Joseph take for his preservation?
14. He arose and took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt.
What was Herod's cruel stratagem to destroy the child Jesus?
16. He 'sent forth and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under.
TIE COMING OP JOHN THE BAPTIST.HIS TESTIMONY CONCERN
What was the prediction fulfilled at the coming of John the Baptist?
3. This is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying: The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. *
How are the appearance and manner of John the Baptist described
* See Isaiah xl. 3.
4. The same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins, and his meat was locusts* and wild honey.
What was required of the followers of John?
6. They were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
When the Pharisees and Sadducees + came to John to be baptized, how did he reprove them?
7. O generation of vipers! who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come ?
8. Bring forth fruits meet for repentance :
9. And think not to say within yourselves, we have Abraham to our father; for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise
ир children unto Abraham.
What did John testify concerning the superiority of Christ, and the effect of his baptism?
* Locusts were a common article of food in many parts of the east; and they are used as such by the modern Arabs.
+ 1 he Phariseees were the most numerous sect among the Jews, distinguished by their strict performance of the ceremonials of religion, and their reverent observance of the precepts that had been handed down by tradition from their ancestors; to which they attached an authority equal or superior to that of the Divine Law. They boasted that, from their accurate knowledge of religion, they were the favourites of heaven; and thus “ trusting in themselves that they were righteous, despised others." Yet, with their high pretensions to piety, they were generally proud, avaricious, and the slaves of every vicious appetite.
The tenets of the Sadducees differed from those of the Pharisees, principally, in their rejection of traditions, and their disbelief of a future state, and of the existence of angels or spirits.
11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance; but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
12. Whose fan is in his hand, and He will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather bis wheat into the garner ; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
When Jesus came from Galilee to be baptized, how did John receive llim?
14. John forbade Him, saying: I have need to be baptized of Thee, and comest Thou to me?
What reason did Jesus assign to induce John to baptize Him?
15. Jesus said unto him : Suffer it to be so now,
for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.
By what token did it please the Almighty to point out Jesus as the Messiah, after He had been baptized by John ?
16. Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water, and, lo! the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon
Him. 17. And, lo! a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
CHRIST'S PASTING AND TEMPTATION.-CHRIST BEGINNETI TO
When Jesus was tempted of the devil in the wilderness, how long did He fast ?
2. Forty days and forty nights.
When the tempter said, If Thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread, how did Jesus answer?
4. He said : It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.*
When the devil urged Jesus to throw Himself from the pinnacle of the Temple, saying: If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down, &c. how did He answer him?
7. Jesus said : It is written, thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
And when the devil besought Jesus to fall down and worship him, how was he rebuked?
10. Then said Jesus unto him: Get thee hence, Satan; for it is written, thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only sbalt thou serve.
Did Jesus commence his public ministry soon after his temptation in the wilderness
# See Deut. viii. 3.
17. From that time Jesus began to preacb, and to say: Repent; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Who were first called to be his disciples.? and what was their occupation at the time they were called?
18. And Jesus walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon, called Peter, and Andrew his brother, who were casting a net into the sea, for they were fishers.
19. And He saith unto them: Follow me, and I will make
fishers of men.
CHRIST'S SERMON ON THE MOUNT.
Recite the beatitudes, or those several conditions which Christ, in his Sermon on the Mount, pronounced to be blessed.
3. Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4. Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted.
5. Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth.
6. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled. .