« PoprzedniaDalej »
out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it maý minister grace unto the bearers.
30. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32. And be ye kind one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
EXHORTATION TO PURITY-TO HUSBANDS AND WIVES,
Ought we not to be incited by a sense of the love of Christ, to guard against all impurity of conduct or conversation?
1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
2. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God, for a sweet smelling
3. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
4. Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient; but rather giving of thanks.
11. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Paul, in writing to the Ephesians, addresses in a particular manner several different stations in society. What is his counsel to married persons?
22. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
25. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it.
EXHORTATIONS TO PARENTS AND CHILDREN-MASTERS AND SERVANTS. THE CHRISTIAN'S ARMOUR.
What is the obligation of children to parents? 1. Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2. Honour thy father and mother, (which is the first commandment with promise,)
3. That it may be well with thee, and thou mayst live long on the earth,
What is the obligation of parents to children ? 4. And ye fathers, provoke not your children
to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
What is the obligation of servants to masters? 5. Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters, according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.
6. Not with eye-service, as men-pleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
8. Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.
What is the obligation of masters to servants ? 9. And ye masters, do the same thing unto them, forbearing threatening; knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with Him.
Recite Paul's animating exhortation at the conclusion of his address to the Ephesians.
10. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11. Put on the whole armour of God; that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places,-)
13. Wherefore, take unto you the whole ar mour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked;
17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance.
EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE PHILIPPIANS.
PAUL'S SOLICITUDE FOR THE PHILIPPIANS.-EXHORTATION TO
What was the object of that affectionate solicitude which Paul expresses in the opening of his epistle to the Philippians?
8. God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.
9. And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more, in knowledge and in all judgment;
10. That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ ;'
11. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
Did he not exhort them to steadfastness, both in believing and suffering?
27. Let your conversation be as it becometh the Gospel; that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the Gospel;
29. For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for his sake.
EXHORTATION TO HUMILITY AND UNITY.
Are not lowliness of mind, and a tender regard for others, dispositions essential in the character of a Christian?