« PoprzedniaDalej »
6. Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7. Know ye therefore, that they wbich are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
Did the law in any way supersede the covenant with Abraham?
17. The covenant that was confirmed before of God in Cbrist, the law which was four bundred and thirty years after cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. · Wherefore then serveth the Law ?.
19. It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whoin the promise was made.
24. Wherefore the law was our school-master, to bring us unto Christ.
Are not all mankind, without distinction, interested in the blessings of the Gospel ?
28. There is neither Jew nor Greek; there is neither bond nor free; there is neither male nor female : for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abrabam's seed, and lieirs according to the promise.
In what manner did Paul expostulate' wilh. the Galatian concerts, because that after they had received the Spirit of God, they placed a dependence on superstitious observances ?
6. Because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of bis Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father !
9. But now after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God," how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage.
10. Ye observe days, and months, and times,
11. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.
Must not the followers of Christ expect to endure persecution from the spirit of the world?
28. Now we breihren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise';
29. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
CHRISTIAN LIBERTY,THE WORKS OF THE FLESH AND SPIRIT.
Paul exhorted the Galatians to steadfastness in the liberty of the Gospel. What was his language
1. Stand fast, therefore, in tbe liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free ; and be not entangled again with the yoke of bendage.
7. Ye did run well; wbo did hinder you, that ye should not obey ibe Truth.
Did he not counsel them to walk in the Spirit?
16. This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lusts of the flesh.
What are the works of the Aesh?
19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest: which are these : adultery, fornication, nnclean. ness, lasciviousness,
20. Idolatry, witchcraft, baired, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness; revel. lings, and such like; of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inlierit the kingdom of God.
What is the fruit of the Spirit?
22. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance; against such there is no law.
24. And they that are Christ's have crucitied the flesh, with the affections and lusts.
25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
How should offenders be treated with .?
1. Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself lest thou also be tempted.
Is it not a Christian duty to share in one another's burdens ?
2. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
What do we owe to those who instruct us in the way.of Truth?
6. Let him that is taught in the word, communicate unto him that teacheth, in all good things.
Shall we not reap such as we sow ?
7. Be not deceived ; God is not mocked : for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8. For he that soweth to bis flesh, sball of the flesh reap corruption ; but he that soweth to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
9. And let us not be weary in well doing : for in due season we shall reap if we faint not.
Is it not an especial duty to do good to our fellow believers ?
10. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO
- THE EPHESIANS.
PAUL'S PRAYERS FOR THE EPHESIANS.
How does Paul express his fervent desire for the Ephesians, that their understandings might be opened to discover the excellency of the Gospel ?
15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16. Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers ;
17. That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him :