« PoprzedniaDalej »
minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
Had the Corinthians any cause to complain that the apostle made his mission burdensome to them?
9. Wben I was present with you and wanted, I was chargeable to no man : for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied : and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you; and so will I keep myself.
Did not Paul endure many sufferings and trials, in the course of his labours for the help of the churches?
24. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes, save one.
25. Thrice was I beaten with rods, and once was I stoned ; thrice I suffered shipwreck; a night and a day I have been in the deep.
26. In journey.ings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils amongst false brethren
; 27. In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness:
28. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches,
PAOL'S BUFFETINGS.-AIS PEARS RESPECTING TAE
What was the answer Paul receired when he besought the Lord for deliverance from the buffetings of Satan?
9. My grace is sufficient for thee : for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
Did not the state of the Corinthian church occasion Paul to express his fears concerning them with great plainness?
20. I fear lest when I come I shall not find you such as I would : and that I shall be found unto
you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
21. And: lest when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many, which bave sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness, and fornication, and lasciviousness, wbich they have committed.
Recite the apostle's advice to self-examination.
5. Examine yourselves whether ye be in the faith ; prove your own selves. Know ye not your ownselves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates.
Recite also his farewell exhortation, and commendation to Divine assistance, in concluding this Epistle.
11. Finally, brethren, farewell ! Be perfect; be of good comfort ; be of one mind; live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
14. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO
THE AUTHORITY OF PAUL'S MINISTRY.
How did the apostle Paul receive his authority to preach the Gospel ?
11. I certify you, brethren, that the Gospel which was preached of me, is not after man..
12. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
15. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by
16. To reveal bis Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Heathen; I conferred not with flesh and blood.
JUSTIFICATION BY PAITR.
What does the apostle Paul assert of the means of justification ?
15. We, who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16. Knowing that a man is not justificd by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ'; that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law : for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Are not those who are justified by faith, required to be devoted lo a life of holiness ?
19. I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20. I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live ; yet not I, but Christ liveth in mc: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.
ABRAHAM AN EXAMPLE TO BELIEVERS.-PURPOSE OF THE LAW.
Are not true believers in Christ, blessed in like manner with Abraham ?