« PoprzedniaDalej »
same, ought it not to enforce any thing to bee beleved for necessitie of Salvation.
22. Of the aucthoritie of general Counsailes. Generall Counsailes maie not be gathered together without the commaundemente and will of Princes : and 5 when thei be gathered (forasmoche as thei be an assemblie of men, wherof all be not governed with the spirite, and woorde of God) thei maie erre, and sometime have erred, not onelie in worldlie matiers, but also in thinges perteining unto God. Wherefore thinges ordeined by 10 theim, as necessarie to Salvation have neither strength nor auctoritie, onlesse it maie be declared, that thei be taken out of holie Scripture.
23. Of Purgatorie. The doctrine of Scholeaucthoures concerning purgatorie 15 pardones, worshipping and adoration aswell of images as of reliques, and also invocation of Sainctes, is a fonde thing vainlie feigned, and grounded upon no warraunt of Scripture but rather repugnant to the woorde of God.
24. No manne mai minister in the Congregation except he 20
be called. It is not lawful for any man to take upon him the office of publique preaching or ministring the sacramentes in the congregation, before he be lawfullie called and sent to execute the same. And those we ought to judge 25 lawfullie called and sent, whiche be chosen and called to this woorke by menne, who have publique auctoritie geven unto them in the congregation, to cal and send ministres into the Lordes vineyarde.
25. Menne must speake in the Congregation in soche toung, 30
as the people understandeth. It is moste semelie and moste agreeable to the woorde
of God, that in the congregation nothing be openlie readde or spoken in a toungue unknowen to the people, the whiche thing S. Paule didde forbidde, except some were presente that should declare the same.
26. Of the Sacramentes. Our Lorde Jesus Christe hathe knitte toguether a companie of newe people with Sacramentes, moste fewe in numbre, moste easie to be kepte, most excellent in significatione, as is Baptisme, and the Lordes Supper.
The Sacramentes were not ordeined of Christe to be 10 gased upon, or to be caried about, but that we shoulde rightlie use them. And in soche onelie, as worthelie receive the same, thei have an wholesome effecte and operacione, and yet not that of the woorke wrought, as some men speake, which worde, as it is straunge and un-15 knowen to holie Scripture: So it engendreth no godlie, but a verie supersticious sense. But thei that receive the Sacramentes unwoorthelie, purchace to theimselves Damnatione, as Saincte Paule saieth.
Sacramentes ordeined by the Worde of God be not 20 onelie Badges and tokens of Christien mennes professione, but rather thei be certeine sure witnesses and effectuall signes of grace and Goddes good will towarde us, by the whiche he dothe worke invisiblie in us, and dothe not onlie quicken, but also strengthen and con-25 firme our faith in him.
27. The wickednesse of the Ministres dooeth not take awaie
the effectuall operation of Goddes ordinaunces.
Although in the visible Churche the evill be ever mingled with the good, and sometime the evil have chief 30 aucthoritie in the ministration of the worde and Sacramentes : Yet forasmoche as thei doe not the same in their owne name, but dooe minister by Christes commis
sion, and auctoritie: we maie use their ministerie bothe in hearing the worde of God and in the receiving the Sacramentes, neither is the effecte of Goddes ordinaunces taken awaie by their wickednesse, or the grace of Goddes giftes diminished from soche, as by faieth and rightlie 5 receive the Sacramentes ministred unto them, whiche bee effectuall because of Christes institutione and promise, although they be ministred by evil men. Neverthelesse it apperteineth to the discipline of the Churche, that enquirie be made of soche, and that thei bee accused 10 by those that have knowelege of their offences, and finally being founde guiltie by just judgement, be deposed.
28. Of Baptisme.
Baptisme is not onelie a signe of profession, and marke of difference, wherby Christien menne are discerned 15 from other that bee not christened, but it is also a signe and seale of our newe birth, wherby, as by an instrument, thei that receive Baptisme rightlie, are grafted in the Churche, the promises of forgevenesse of sinne, and our adoption to be the sonnes of God, are visiblie signed 20 and sealed, faith is confirmed, and grace increased by virtue of praier unto God. The custome of the Churche to christen yonge children is to bee commended, and in any wise to bee reteined in the Churche.
29. Of the Lordes Supper. The Supper of the Lorde is not onelie a signe of the love that Christiens ought to have among theimselves one to another, but rather it is a sacrament of our redemption by Christes death, insomoche that to soche as rightlie woorthelie, and with faieth receive the same, the breade 30 which we breake, is a communion of the bodie of Christe. Likewise the cuppe of blessing is a communion of the bloude of Christe.
Transubstantiation or the chaunge of the substaunce of breade and wine into the substaunce of Christes bodie and bloude, cannot bee proved by holie writte, but is repugnaunt to the plaine woordes of Scripture, and hath geven occasion to many supersticions.
5 Forasmoche as the trueth of mannes nature requireth, that the bodie of one and the selfsame manne cannot be at one time in diverse places, but must nedes be in some one certeine place: Therfore the bodie of Christe cannot bee presente at one time in many and diverse places. 10 And because (as holie Scripture doeth teache) Christe was taken up into Heaven, and there shall continue unto thende of the worlde, a faithful man ought not, either to beleve or openlie to confesse the reall and bodilie presence (as thei terme it) of Christes fleshe and bloude in 15 the Sacramente of the Lordes supper.
The Sacramente of the Lordes supper was not commaunded by Christes ordinaunce to be kepte, caried about, lifted up, nor worshipped.
30. Of the perfeicte oblacion of Christe made upon the 20
crosse. The offring of Christe made ones for ever is the perfecte redemption, the pacifiying of Goddes displeasure, and satisfaction for all the sinnes of the whole worlde, bothe original and actuall : and there is none other satis-25 faction for sinne but that alone. wherfore the sacrifices of masses, in the whiche it was commonlie saied, that the Prieste did offre Christe for the quicke and the dead, to have remission of peine or sinne were forged fables and daungerouse deceiptes.
31. The state of single life is commaunded to no man by
the worde of God. Bishoppes Priestes and Deacons are not commaunded
to vowe the state of single life without mariage, neither by Goddes lawe are thei compelled to absteine from matrimonie.
32. Excommunicate persones are to be avoided.
That persone whiche by open denunciacion of the 5 Churche, is rightlie cut of from the unitie of the Churche, and excommunicate, ought to be taken of the whole multitude of the faiethful as an Heathen and publicane, until he bee openlie reconciled by penaunce, and received into the Churche by a Judge that hath aucthoritie 10 thereto.
It is not necessarie that tradicions and ceremonies bee in all places one or utterlie like. For at al times thei have been divers, and maie bee chaunged, according to 15 the diversitie of countries and mennes maners, so that nothing bee ordeined against Goddes worde.
Whosoever through his private judgement willinglie and purposelie doeth openlie breake the tradicions and ceremonies of the Churche, which bee not repugnaunte to 20 the worde of God and bee ordeined and approved by common aucthoritie, ought to be rebuked openlie (that other maie feare to doe the like) as one that offendeth against the common ordre of the Churche, and hurteth thaucthoritie of the Magistrate and woundeth the con-25 sciences of the weake brethren.
34. Homelies. Thomelies of late geven and set out by the Kinges aucthoritie, be godly and holsome, conteining doctrine to be received of all menne, and therefore are to be readde 30 to the people diligentlie, distinctlie, and plainlie.